The TheraSuit Method
The TheraSuit Method® is based on an intensive and specific exercise program. Eliminating pathological reflexes and establishing new, correct, and functional patterns of movements is of significant importance.
The TheraSuit Method® utilizes various tools and exercises.
TheraSuit® is a breathable soft dynamic proprioceptive orthotic. It consists of a vest, shorts, knee pads, shoe attachments, and a hat, which are fully connected by elastic bungees. The TheraSuit® aligns the body as close to normal as possible.
Reestablishing the correct postural alignment plays a crucial role in normalizing muscle tone and sensory and vestibular function. Its major goal is to improve and change proprioception (pressure from the joints, ligaments, and muscles), reduce the patient’s pathological reflexes, restore physiological muscle synergies (proper patterns of movement) and load the entire body with weight (a process similar to a reaction of our muscles to the gravitational forces acting up us for 24 hours). All of the above normalizes afferent vestibulo-proprioceptive input (information arriving to the vestibular system). The vestibular system is a very important center. It processes, integrates, and sends back all the information that arrives from muscles, joints, tendons, etc. It influences muscle tone, balance, and the body’s position in space.
What Can the TheraSuit Method Do?
- Re-trains central nervous system
- Restores ontogenic development
- Provides external stabilization
- Normalizes muscle tone
- Aligns the body to as close to normal as possible
- Provides dynamic correction
- Normalizes (corrects) gait pattern
- Provides tactile stimulation
- Influences the vestibular system
- Improves balance
- Improves coordination
- Decreases uncontrolled movements in ataxia and athetosis
- Improves body and spatial awareness
- Supports weak muscles
- Provides resistance to strengthen muscles to enhance the strengthening further
- Improves speech production and fluency through head control and trunk support
- Promotes development of both fine and gross motor skills
- Helps to decrease contractures
- Helps improve hip alignment through vertical loading over the hip joint
The Universal Exercise Unit, also known as Spider Cage, is used to isolate muscles and strengthen specific muscle groups for functional movement patterns by use of a pulley system. The Universal Exercise Unit allows you to gain range of motion, muscle and joint flexibility, as well as improve functional skills.
The Pulley system works on intensive isolated muscle movement exercises, utilizing immobilizers and weight loads on pulleys.
The spider (bungee suspension) works on dynamic movement exercises. Exercises can be suspended or non-suspended to allow the child to perform activities in partial and full weight bearing and work on reflex integration and vestibular retraining.